Every two years, the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) publishes something they call the “Report to the Nations” on the state of fraud across the globe. The report covers a variety of data throughout the world on topics such as:
· Frequency of fraud,
· Dollar levels relating to fraud,
· Attributes of fraudsters,
· Fraud and the impact of internal controls,
· Red flags relating to fraud,
· And a variety of other similar data and topics.
Regardless of your position within an organization, if you are interested in fraud and have some responsibility for internal controls (everyone does), it is worth taking a few minutes to visit the ACFE’s webpage and better understand the data presented in the report. In most cases, employees, mangers, and management have a responsibility for both preventing and detecting fraud if they see it! The link to the report is shown below.